Glen Ridge is a district in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the precinct’s populace was 7,527,] mirroring an expansion of 256 (+3.5%) from the 7,271 included in the 2000 Census, which had thusly expanded by 195 (+2.8%) from the 7,076 included in the 1990 Census.
Glen Ridge was joined as a district by a demonstration of the New Jersey Legislature on February 13, 1895, from segments of Bloomfield Township, in light of the consequences of a submission held the past day. In 1982, the precinct’s legitimate name was changed to “Municipality of Glen Ridge Borough”. Glen Ridge was one of in excess of twelve Essex County regions to rename themselves as municipalities to exploit administrative income sharing arrangements that apportioned municipalities a more prominent portion of government help on a for every capita basis. Effective May 1993, the ward’s unique name of “Glen Ridge Borough” was restored. The precinct’s name comes from the edge framed by Toney’s Brook.
Of the numerous inheritances left to the town by its organizers, the one that has become its brand name is the gas lights. With just 3,000 gaslights staying in activity in the whole United States, Glen Ridge has 665 such lights lighting its streets. In 1924, Glen Ridge turned into the principal region in New Jersey to build up a drafting ordinance.
In 2010, Glen Ridge was positioned as the 38th Best Place to live by New Jersey Monthly magazine.
Glen Ridge follows its starting to 1666 when 64 Connecticut families drove by Robert Treat purchased land from the Lenni Lenape Native Americans and named it New Ark to mirror an agreement to venerate uninhibitedly without oppression. The domain incorporated the future towns of Bloomfield, Montclair, Belleville and Nutley. At the point when Bloomfield was set up in 1812, Glen Ridge was a segment “on the slope” made generally out of ranches and forests except for a flourishing modern zone along Toney’s Brook in the glen. For the majority of the nineteenth century, three water-controlled plants created amble, calico, pasteboard boxes and metal fittings. A copper mine and a sandstone quarry were situated on the north side of the brook.
With the appearance of the Newark and Bloomfield Railroad in 1856 and the development of the Glen Ridge station and the New York and Greenwood Lake Railway station at the present Benson Street in 1872, Glen Ridge started its change to a rural private network. Masterful homes gradually supplanted plantations and lush fields.
Mountainside Hospital, a neighborhood clinic with in excess of 300 beds presently known as HackensackUMC Mountainside, was established in 1891. The Glen Ridge Country Club was established in 1894, making it one of the state’s most seasoned clubs.
Occupants “on the slope” got discontent with their portrayal on the Bloomfield Council. Regardless of rehashed solicitations to Bloomfield authorities, streets stayed unpaved, water and sewer frameworks were nonexistent, and schools were miles away. Territory occupants set apart out the limits of a 1.45-square-mile (3.8 km2) region to withdraw from the abutting town. At the political race hung on February 12, 1895, the choice to withdraw passed by just 23 votes. Robert Rudd was chosen the principal city hall leader of Glen Ridge.
In 1989, competitors from the secondary school were associated with the rape of an intellectually impaired understudy. Three young people were seen as blameworthy of first-degree bothered rape; a fourth was sentenced for third-degree conspiracy. Author Bernard Lefkowitz expounded on the occurrence in the 1997 book Our Guys: The Glen Ridge Rape and the Secret Life of the Perfect Suburb. Lefkowitz’s book was adjusted into the 1999 TV film Our Guys: Outrage at Glen Ridge.
Glen Ridge is a continuous area for film, TV, and business shoots. Eminent works incorporate Winter Solstice and Mona Lisa Smile.